The positive contributions of migrant women to sustainable development in countries of origin, transit destination and return merit recognition. These contributions include financial remittances as well as social remittances—the ideas, norms, values, knowledge, behaviour, practices and skills that migrants carry with them.
Partnerships with migrant women’s organizations are key to engaging migrant women and the diaspora in knowledge and skills transfer. Migrants can play a key role in peace and reconciliation processes in their countries of origin, especially women in peacebuilding.
- Policies that facilitate the consultation or participation of migrant workers and their families in decisions concerning the life and administration of local communities
- Policies that enable migrant women to fully participate in society, including in political decision-making, peacebuilding and community dialogue in countries of origin, transit and destination
- Gender-responsive policies that enable migrant women to travel between the country of origin and destination without jeopardizing work or residency requirements
- Provision of and access to safe public spaces for migrant women and girls to support social cohesion, peacebuilding, community-building efforts and integration
- Research and advocacy on the financial and social contributions of migrant women and members of the diaspora
- Policies that promote and enable the agency and leadership of women in migration
- Partnerships with migrant women’s organizations to support the political and civil participation of all migrant women and members of the diaspora
- Promotion of migrant women’s entrepreneurship and access to gender-responsive financial services
- COVID-19: Provision of assistance to migrants and diaspora communities to be able to continue contributing to sustainable development in all countries during the pandemic.